Sunday, November 16, 2008

Art Gallery of Ontario: Transformation rush job

Art Gallery of Ontario post renovations: Roof shimIt would seem that despite all the hoopla, the renovations of the AGO are not complete. This weekend was the official re-opening of the art gallery. Judging by today's extremely long and winding lines, zig-zaging along Dundas St. and down McCaul St. (enduring the rain, no less), the free open house was a smashing success. However, it seems that the big transformation is not yet done. As I walked through every level on my visit earlier today, I couldn't help but notice passageways blocked, stairwells closed, exposed exterior insulation, and miscellaneous construction debris near many windows. Though it was the smallest of details that truly got me concerned when I was standing at the balcony perched at the South-West corner of the museum, next to the elevators. Looking up at the ceiling one can clearly see a little piece of wood shimming up the ceiling (see attached photo). I couldn't ascertain if it's the walls that were made uneven, or if it's the ceiling; sadly I didn't have a laser level handy. In the rush to finish the job, one has to wonder what other structural defects were conceded, or perhaps even concealed...

No comments: