Thursday, March 12, 2009

An update on OptionMonster.com and NYSE: DUK

Shortly after my last post, I was contacted by Mike Yamamoto, the managing editor of OptionMonster.com. He promised to personally look into the discrepancies that I had pointed out. Within a few hours, the headline on the CNBC web site blog post was corrected, and today the incorrect stock chart for Duke Energy in the OptionMonster.com article was pulled down. Apparently, both were uncorrelated, completely separate errors. The CNBC post headline error (stating “bearish” instead of “bullish”, though the final corrected headline described the option activity as “extremely unusual”) was a simple human error by a staffer at CNBC. As for the erroneous DUK chart (which hid the fact of how historically cheap the DUK stock price had reached), I heard today from Mike that the source data, coming from TradeMonster.com, had an "errant data point" that probably "threw things off". In all, I was impressed with the speed and conscientious nature of the response provided by Mike who kept me informed as he looked into things.

On a related note, since my last post I decided to make my own speculative play on NYSE: DUK. Earlier this week, I opened a position using a bullish options strategy.

No comments: