Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bulroney Hill

A few days ago, May 8th, it was Victory in Europe Day (V-E Day), a statutory holiday here in France (and in a few other European countries) commemorating the end of World War II. Of course, this made me think of Canada. As I have been marching to my own drummer here in Paris, this long weekend didn't really affect me as I had tons of work to do (yes, still old Toronto-work). However, it was a little difficult to stay completely focussed given the nice weather, so I succumbed to a little procrastination. I decided to whip up something quasi-musical with all of the audio recordings I had accumulated from the testimony of Brian Mulroney (former Prime Minister of Canada for all you non-Canadians reading this) at a public inquiry held by a Parliamentary committee in December of 2007. Even if you are not interested in politics, or the whole "Schreiber Affair", most Canadians would probably find these clips quite humourous. Despite Mr. Mulroney delivering these gems with a very serious demeanor, he seriously couldn't expect us to take him seriously? This was also quite a unique event as it's very rare for a former Prime Minister to be ordered to testify in any public inquiry (the other exception would be Jean Chrétien), but this was an event without equal since it was on Parliament Hill.

So, whithout further verbiage, I give you "Bulroney Hill":
<a href="http://lifeoneight.bandcamp.com/track/bulroney-hill">Bulroney Hill by LifeOnEight</a>

2 comments:

LifeOnEight said...

What a coincidence! I didn't realise that Brian Mulroney was giving more testimony just this week: still about his dealings with Karlheinz Schreiber, though not on Parliament Hill this time, but at the Oliphant Commission. I've been out of touch with Canadian news lately, so this was a complete fluke. Turns out that I might have a psychic link back to Canada...

Anonymous said...

Dig it.